Still riding that Valentine's Day sugar high? It might surprise you to know that there are more than seven million undiagnosed cases of diabetes in the U.S. Now we're not saying that a few chocolates will send you over the edge, but it's important to know how to take charge of your blood sugar health. After all, diabetes has affected more than eight percent of the U.S. population – and 1.9 million people under the age of 20 were diagnosed in 2010 alone.
Why Do I Need to Detox?
According to the American Diabetes Association, "Diabetes mellitus, or simply, diabetes, is a group of diseases characterized by high blood glucose levels that result from defects in the body's ability to produce and/or use insulin." Glucose is the primary source of energy for your cells and normal blood glucose levels stay within narrow limits throughout the day (4-6 mmol/L). Here's a breakdown of different types of diabetes:
- Prediabetes – Blood glucose levels are higher than normal, but not high enough to be diagnosed as diabetes yet. Recent research reveals that prediabetes can result in long-term damage to your heart and circulatory system.
- Type 1 diabetes – The body does not produce insulin, which your body needs to convert sugar and other foods into energy. Type 1 diabetes is typically diagnosed before the age of 20 and is treated with insulin injections. Symptoms include frequent urination, unusual thirst and extreme fatigue.
- Type 2 diabetes – The body does not produce enough insulin, or your cells ignore the insulin that is produced. Type 2 diabetes is typically diagnosed after the age of 35 and treated with oral medications, diet and exercise. Unfortunately, many younger people have been diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes as a result of obesity and poor food choices. Symptoms include frequent infections, blurred vision and numbness in hands/feet.
- Gestational diabetes – Blood glucose levels are too high during pregnancy. Gestational diabetes is typically diagnosed after 28 weeks into the pregnancy; however the condition may not continue after the baby is born.
Detoxification: An Eastern Medicine Point of View
From an Eastern medicine point of view, normal sugar metabolism involves a balance between the spleen, liver and kidneys. In a healthy person, these organs coordinate blood sugar levels. Unfortunately, when any of these organs are out of sync, high blood sugar (hyperglycemia) or low blood sugar (hypoglycemia) can occur. In his article, Dr. Graeme Shaw offers a deeper look into these energy imbalances and what we can do to help support our body's natural blood sugar health.*
Natural Cleaning Products for Your Home
If you have diabetes – or are worried that you may develop it – the National Center for Complimentary and Alternative Medicine suggests that you concentrate on three areas of wellness:
Stress is also a factor in blood sugar health, as hormones produced from stress may accumulate and prevent insulin from converting glucose into energy. If you're stressed, consider taking a few things off of your to-do list. WebMD offers other useful tips about how to cope with diabetes and stress.
- Healthy Eating – There are a several "diabetes superfoods" at your local grocery store, including black beans, salmon, barley, spinach, oranges, sweet potatoes, strawberries and more.
- Physical Activity – Exercise is one of the best ways to improve your overall health. Take your dog for a walk, work out in your living room with a DVD or take yoga classes a few times per week.
- Blood Glucose Monitoring – Awareness of your body's blood sugar level can prevent emergencies. If you have diabetes, make it a habit to keep a meter and supplies with you at all times.
Find Us on Facebook
If you haven't checked out our Facebook or Twitter page, you're missing out! Find out how to detox, watch videos about how sugar affects the immune system, learn new healthy recipes and more. To get helpful health tips all year long, click "Like" at the top of our Facebook page or "Follow" at the top of our Twitter page. It's that simple. See you there!
Products to Support Blood Sugar Health *
This herbal dietary supplement offers natural support for individuals who want to maintain healthy levels of insulin and sugar. The ingredients in the Metabo Well formula enhance the body's natural healing mechanisms to remove toxins from organs and improve pancreatic, kidney and liver functions. Balance in these areas may support healthy insulin levels and metabolism. *
Our 100% Magnesium Citrate is a dietary mineral supplement that may support a healthy cardiovascular system, including heart rhythm and function. It's also one of the most important nutrients for maintaining healthy biological functions, including the production and transfer of cellular energy, muscle relaxation and contraction and the maintenance of vascular tone. With no fillers or binders, our formula is easily absorbed by the body.* *
100% Satisfaction Guarantee
Not sure that Get Well Natural's products are right for you? There's no risk with our 100% Satisfaction Guarantee. If you're not completely satisfied with our products, we'll give you a refund. For details, read our return policy .
What Our Customers Are Saying:
Dear Get Well Natural: I write this communication to let individuals with various immune disorders know that Get Well Natural and staff are true professionals. They were the driving force of educating and helping me understand my situation. These products that Get Well Natural provides are the real deal. No gimmicks, no hype, just effective dietary supplements to support my body.*
- - With Respect, William Shear, Ohio
See more customer testimonials